Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Spy Transportation swap open!


This swap is now closed! What a great turn out! 

Have you heard of I spy quilts? They use novelty prints with all types of images a child would recognize and be able to play "I Spy" with. 
 I just discovered I Spy quilts and swaps, and have become a bit obsessed! I would really like to make a quilt for my youngest son, who loves trucks, cars, trains…. You get it, everything that moves! To collect a variety of squares for his quilt, I thought I would host my own swap.

One of the fabrics I have picked to swap. 

We will be swapping sets of 20, 5 inch charm squares of transportation related fabric. This can be planes, trains, cars, work trucks, bikes, tractors, or even shoes. In addition, street signs, railroad tracks, or any other transportation related items would be great.


Another fabric I am swapping. 


 You can swap more than one set, up to 4 sets (each set a different fabric). You should be able to cut 20 five inch squares from around 1/2 yard of fabric depending on the design spacing. Please make sure that the image is close to center on the square as possible, and fussy cut if needed.

Carefully rotary cut your fabric in to 5 x 5 squares. Be sure to remove the selvage from both sides. Squares that are poorly cut or wonky and cannot be used as received will be returned unswapped.

To brush up on cutting charm’s see this tutorial. http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/05/charm-squares-101.html


Please send 100% cotton only quilt shop quality fabric. No Joannes, Hobby Lobby, or Wal Mart fabric. Mind the golden rule, send what you would like to receive. Also, keep in mind that the charms are designed to be in a child’s quilt, and should be recognizable to a child. 
Please post a photo of your selected fabric to our flicker group, and check out the photos before selecting your fabrics. That way we can avoid duplicates.


Place each set of 20 charms in a zip lock sandwich size baggie. Include your name, address, and flicker name on a piece of paper and put it inside baggies. Also include a self-addressed postage paid envelope for your charms to be returned to you. DO NOT use metered mail. (When I send off for swaps, I take the package in to be weighed with the return envelope in it, but left unsealed. I have them weigh it to determine the postage, add the postage to the return envelope, and seal up the package to send off.) You can get free flat rate envelopes from USPS on their website. They take a few days to arrive after order. 

I hope to have sign ups for at least 80 sets (4 groups of 20 sets), so we don't have duplicates. I will keep the sign ups open until Oct 1st, or until full. 

I will collect all the charm sets, distribute them randomly and return to you the same number of sets you sent in. I will try to not send out duplicates, but that will depend on the number of participants and how many sets you sent in.



At this time the swap is open to US residents only. If this works out, I’ll get brave and have another swap open to all.


The last day for me to receive the charms is October 18th, and will hope to get them back in the mail by the 25th. (Your own little trick or treat package!) I will update the list when I receive your charms. Anything received after October 18th will be returned to you.

To sign up, please email me at sweetiepgarden@yahoo.com or add a comment below with your email, flicker name, number of sets you would like to swap. 

I will send an email out with my address and any other information needed for the swap. I will also update the flicker page with a participant list and packages received. 

Thanks for playing! 

10/4 UPDATE: We still have room for a few swappers! If you are interested, please leave a comment or send an email with the number of sets you would like, your Flickr ID, and an email address to contact you with the swap shipping address. Please keep in mind that the charms need to be to my by Oct 18th so I can get them back out by the 25th as promised. 

36 comments:

  1. I would like to take 4 spots. Just to make sure I am correct, I need to purchase 4 different (half yards), one per spot? Thank you for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is correct. 4 spots is 4 sets of 20 squares that are each a different fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to do it, but don't know how many sets yet. I'm 2 weeks away from my due date, so it will all depend on if I can get some fabric, get it cut, and mail it off before this baby arrives! Like the little engine, I think I can! Will post again when I have more info.

    Flickr ID: LibraryLilNC. Found you through Heart at Home Mama's swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      Congratulations on the new addition! Such an exciting time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks!

      Okay, I'm in for 4 sets. Will post pictures shortly. If things happen sooner than expected, SnowCleo will mail in my squares for me; we know each other in the real world (and in fact went fabric shopping together today!)

      Delete
    3. Great! I'll get you down for 4. I hope goes smoothly.

      Delete
  4. Would the theme include airplanes, boats, and helicopters as well or just things with tires? Would construction vehicles be alright? Looking online now at what's available. ; ) I'll let you know if I decide to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airplanes, boats, all of it is good! Anything that moves! COnstruction vehicles are awesome!

      Delete
    2. Ok, got the thumbs up from the Hubby! Put me down for 4 sets please! ; )

      Delete
  5. I'd like to sign up also. One set, maybe two, depending on if I find another fabric I like. I'm Snowcleo at Flickr. Also found you off of Heart at Home Mama's swap. Thanks for hosting this!

    One question, would tracks, treads, wheels, and the like be acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, tracks, treads, and wheels would be great, or even street signs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im in for sure! my son will love this :) I'll do 2 sets. My flickr id is : clunsford_ga Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to join your swap. I am going to try to have 4 sets. I have found some great transportation fabrics. Please let me know if you still have room for me. My flicker name is yellowbee1.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen,
    Plenty of room for you. Welcome to the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK. I am in. Is 4 sets the limit?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to join your swap! Sign me up for 4 sets please. My flickr name is QuiltingGhi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi again! Can I up my number to 3 sets? I found two more transportation related fabrics I'd like to swap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to take 2 spots!
    There is this amazing quilt shop in town that has the best citchy prints.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy to take 1 to 4 slots depending on what you have available. I'm a veteran I-spy swapper. pagenew@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty of room! Just let me know how many you would like and I'll add you to the list.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  16. I would like 4 sets if you still have room! craftnut351@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I would like 4 sets, but let me check the fabric store first to make sure I can find four that haven't been taken. flikr - sohappybaby,
    email- info@sewhappybaby.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending mine in Monday. I don't even have a little boy, but this sure is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am interested in i spy swaps but am too late to make the deadline for this swap. If possible could you please notify me of future swaps or let me know where I can check back to get the information.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to! Please leave your email address, for send me an email at sweetiepgarden@yahoo.com so I have your contact information.

      Delete
  20. I would like to swap. 2 sets for sure. 4 sets if I can find the fabric. I will let you know shortly about the 4 sets.
    thomasean_quilty at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I sent you an email. The dead line for getting fabrics in is Friday. If you can make it in, I will swap it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to join this swap... just found it through obsessivelystitching blogspot. Please send email to me for next one- buckingtrout@yahoo.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i want tostart a 9 patch swap within my guild and need somegood badic instructions Janet Foster, foster j.r205@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete